HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
2014 was really great to me – I was healthy (no major issues), I was successful in my career, I continued a wonderful relationship, and just a few weeks ago we were able to buy our first home! I’ve had a blast decorating and cooking in my brand new kitchen (which I am totally in love with). My sister Stephanie, co-owner of WoodstockNYC, gave us an awesome housewarming/Christmas present last week…..a WAFFLE MAKER!
I have been eyeing up waffle makers for the last couple of months, but never actually made the purchase, so this was perfect timing! Of course, I had to break it out and make some waffles as soon as I got it home! I wanted something basic, nothing fancy, for my first attempt….and it turned out great!
I went with a whole wheat recipe, based off of the Sinfully Wholesome Waffles recipe found in the Isa Does It cookbook (check out the PPK website for some awesome recipes). I made some changes – left out the oats, lessened the oil, added some sugar. I also topped mine with confectioner’s sugar and some fresh raspberries, and some maple syrup (after the picture was taken). I loved how quickly everything came together and this waffle recipe can be easily customized – different fruit, add some chocolate chips, fold in some banana….whatever you’re feeling that day!
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1¾ cups of whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 TB baking powder
- ½ TSP salt
- 2½ TB ground flaxseed
- ¼ wheat germ
- ⅛ cup of sugar (I use pure cane sugar)
- ½ cup of water
- 1½ TB olive oil
- 3 TB pure maple syrup or agave
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- Raspberries, confectioner's sugar and syrup to top
- Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl - flour, baking powder, salt, flax seed, sugar and wheat germ
- Mix the milk and apple cider vigorously, until frothy. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients along with the water, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla
- Preheat your waffle iron, making sure to spray with a non-stick cooking spray if needed. Cook waffles according to your iron's directions.
- Add berries, powdered sugar, and syrup to serve!
So glad that we’ve made it to 2015! Wishing all of you a healthy and happy new year. May 2015 bring you all joy, love, and compassion for all living beings.
Edit: I submitted this post to the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck – check out all of the awesome recipes here!