My poor boyfriend, Ramon, had to get all 4 of his wisdom teeth removed right after we got back from the Dominican Republic this week…..what a way to get back into things! Even though it’s still technically summertime here in Philadelphia, it feels kind of chilly after spending a week in over 90 degree temperatures. The grey, rainy days this week have also put me in kind of a funk after seven days of paradise. So in order to feed my swollen and sore boyfriend, and to warm up the chill that I couldn’t kick, I decided to make soup!
Who doesn’t love kale, right? And white beans? So good! I came up with this recipe this past winter, and I’ve made it a ton of times….it’s a hit in our house! The ingredients are pretty traditional except for one, the smoked paprika chili oil.
I bought mine from the local Farmer’s Market, but you can certainly make your own. I found a great recipe for chili oil HERE, and you could easily add smoked paprika to that recipe. I used the chili oil in place of regular olive oil to saute the onions and garlic, and it adds a subtle kick to the flavors of the soup.
The soup itself comes together really easily – once the potatoes are in, you can walk away and get a few things done while you wait for them to soften. After you add the kale, you’re only 5 minutes away from deliciousness! I wait to season until the end – veggie broth (or bouillon cubes) can be salty, and you may not want to add red pepper flakes if the chili oil already has enough kick for you. I tend to like a lot of kale, but feel free to add less if it seems like too much for you.
- 1/2 TB smoked paprika chili oil (or regular olive oil)
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5-2 cups of diced fresh tomatoes (I like a lot, but you can always use less)
- 3 medium red or yellow potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini, great northern, or any other variety you like)
- 8 cups of veggie broth
- 3-4 cups of kale, ripped into bite sized pieces without the stems
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat the smoked paprika chili oil in a sauce pot over medium heat
- Saute onions in oil until they begin to become translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, and saute until fragrant, another minute or so.
- Add tomatoes and saute for another 2-3 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add diced potatoes, beans, and broth
- Bring soup to a boil. Once it begins to boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes become tender.
- Stir in kale, and cook for another 5 minutes until the kale softens
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
If you’ve stuck around this long, I thought I would give you a special bonus….a video of poor Ramon waking up after his surgery! He was HYSTERICAL and I was laughing so hard I was crying! Luckily, he’s a good sport and doesn’t mind me sharing! =)
This recipe was submitted to the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck!