If you know me, you know I love quick and comforting meals that still have some sort of nutritional value. I have no idea what made me decide to build a pizza on a big ol’ mushroom cap, but darn it if it wasn’t super tasty! These beauties were created a few months ago, but I saw the picture tonight and I definitely want to make them again this weekend….I just happen to have all of the ingredients in my fridge! =)
- 4 large Portobello caps, washed and dried
- 2 cups of baby spinach, washed
- ½ jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 cup to 1½ cups of your favorite shredded vegan cheese (I used Teese and shredded it myself)
- 1 cup of fresh basil, cut in ribbons
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Wash and dry your mushroom caps
- With the tops of the caps facing downward, add a layer of sauce, a layer of spinach, a layer of cheese, then top with basil and red pepper flakes
- Place mushrooms in a cake pan and cover with foil. Do not use a cookie sheet because the mushrooms lose liquid as they cook, and it will make a huge mess!
- Heat mushrooms in the oven for 10-15 minutes. You want the cheese to be melted, but you don't want a mushy mushroom (hehe)...the center of the mushroom should still be slightly firm.
Want to add more veggies? Toss ’em on there! Thinking about making a ‘bella pizza tower? Stack ’em up! There are so many things that you can do with these little guys….as long as it ends with you devouring them, it’s all good!