Like millions of Americans, I was excited for today – not because of the game, but because of the food! I couldn’t care less about the outcome of the Super Bowl, but I was super excited to share some delicious vegan food with friends and try out some new recipes. My absolute FAVORITE thing that I ate today was my scrumptious 7-layer dip!
I used to love going to a party when I was younger and finding a 7-layer dip….so good, but so unhealthy. I never made one myself, but the ones I remember always had tons of sour cream, an obscene amount of shredded cheese, and lots of salsa from a jar. My version is sans-cheese, but definitely not lacking in flavor!
I decided to stay away from the processed cheese and opt for a sprinkle of nutritional yeast on the refried beans (make sure they don’t have lard). I used Tofutti sour cream, homemade guacamole, black olives, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and jalapeños to create a fresher version of those childhood dips. Be creative – so many other things you could add!
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans (I used Old El Paso brand)
- ⅓ cup of nutritional yeast
- ½ tub of vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
- 1.5-2 avocados
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Pinch of salt
- 6.5 oz sliced black olives (I used Pearls brand)
- ½ cup of shredded lettuce
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- ½-1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Spread refried beans on the bottom of a glass serving dish, using the back of a spoon to even them out
- Sprinkle a layer of nutritional yeast over the beans - this will take the place of the cheese without giving it an overpowering taste
- Spoon about ½ of a vegan sour cream container on top of the beans and spread evenly
- Combine avocados, lime juice and salt in a bowl and mash until mostly smooth - some small chunks are ok. Spread avocado mixture evenly on top of the sour cream layer.
- Drain olives, and add on top of the sour cream layer
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded lettuce on top of the black olives
- Add a layer of diced tomatoes on top of the lettuce, spreading out evenly
- Sprinkle diced jalapeño on top of the dip - I used half, but if you want more heat, add the whole pepper
- If you want even more heat, consider adding hot sauce in between layers or at the end as a garnish.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until served. Enjoy with your favorite chips!
I will DEFINITELY be making this for any future get togethers! It was a hit with all of the non-vegans in the room! Happy football watching!
*I entered this recipe in the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck!*