Have you ever had one of those blah nights when you’re hungry and you don’t want to go out, but you’re not incredibly keen on the idea of cooking a big meal? Yea, that was me tonight. It’s also been super hot here in Philly, so I want to have the stove on for the shortest amount of time possible! I took a look into the fridge and found asparagus, parsley, and scallions, along with some chickpeas and diced tomatoes in the pantry. Perfect ingredients for an Italian inspired dish!
- 1/2 can of chickpeas, drained and washed
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 a bunch of scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 4 sprigs of curly parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp oil (I used grapeseed oil)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat
- Add chopped scallions and diced garlic to pan, sautéeing for 1 minute – don’t let the garlic brown
- Add asparagus, chickpeas, and diced tomatoes to the pan – lower the heat to medium and let cook until asparagus reaches desired tenderness
- Take the pan off the heat and add parsley to the mix
- Season with red pepper flakes and salt, and serve
The great thing about this quick little recipe is that you can eat it on its own (like I did), or you can put it over pasta or your favorite grain (mine is quinoa). You could also substitute the canned tomatoes with fresh and make fresh chickpeas if you are looking to up the healthiness even more. I’m already thinking of some other yummy add-ins – maybe some artichoke hearts, black olives, or mushrooms? The yummy possibilities are endless!