Welcome to the Virtual Vegan Potluck 3.0! This will be the second time that The Singin’ Vegan has participated – last time, I made a stuffed artichoke side dish. Apparently, I like my food stuffed because I decided to go with a quinoa salad stuffed avocado appetizer this year!
If you don’t know what the Virtual Vegan Potluck is, you have just stumbled upon one of the most exciting recipe rings out there! More than 100 vegan bloggers have brought something to the potluck this year, and we are all linked (using forward and back buttons) in one giant, veggie-filled circle. You can head over to our host, Vegan Bloggers Unite!, to start at the beginning, or you can use the buttons at the end of this post to navigate through the rest of the recipes.
For those that have read my past posts, you know that avocado is an obsession of mine! I usually have an avocado a day; a lot of the time I take one as part of my lunch, but I also LOVE to make avocado toast for a nighttime snack. When I decided to contribute an appetizer to the potluck, I knew I had to include avocados in some way! What better way than to stuff them full of protein-packed quinoa and fresh veggies?
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¾ cup of cooked quinoa
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup of tomato, diced
- ¼ cup of yellow cherry tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup of cucumber, diced
- 1 lime
- Cilantro garnish
- Pink salt, to taste
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package (1:2 ratio of quinoa to water)
- While quinoa is cooking, dice all of your vegetables and place in a medium sized bowl
- Halve the avocados. Using your knife, score them into small pieces, leaving the skin intact. Add avocado to the bowl of vegetables.
- Squeeze 1 lime over the bowl of ingredients (it helps to keep the avocado from oxidizing)
- When the quinoa has finished cooking, add ¾ of a cup to the bowl and mix well
- Salt to taste
- Scoop ingredients in bowl back into the avocado skins, filling them generously.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Talk about eating the rainbow! Check out all of the colors you are throwing in there:
And just in case (I know I’m a visual learner), here is a shot of what your scored avocados should look like…but don’t cut too deep! I’ve definitely done cut through the skin when I haven’t meant to, and it caused some serious pouting!
When I tested this recipe, it was warm when I ate it….I think it would work well as a cold appetizer, too. Because these should be acting as apps and not full entrees, one half of an avocado should be plenty for each person. The recipe isn’t spicy as is, so if you want to up the heat, add the other half of the jalapeno pepper. I served mine with a sprig of cilantro on top and some lime wedges on the side, but incorporating cilantro into the recipe itself would also work well!
If you would like to see the recipe before mine in the potluck, click the “Go Back” picture below to see the delicious jackfruit and kimchi BLT sliders that Vedged Out contributed:
If you would like to continue on through the appetizers, click the “Go Forward” picture below to check out the Simply Nori-shing Vegetable Rolls at Oh My Potluck!:
Thanks so much for joining all of us vegan bloggers for the Virtual Vegan Potluck 3.0! Happy reading!