Mushrooms, quinoa, tomato sauce, ground “beef,” and mozzarella “cheese” – it doesn’t get much better than that! I knew I had a winner with all of those Italian inspired ingredients! Plus, it couldn’t have been easier – combine garlic, white onion, mushroom stems, ground beef and tomato sauce in one pan while cooking the sprouted quinoa according to package directions in another.
Combine, stuff mushrooms, top with mozzarella – BOOM! Tasty appetizer or dinner treat! There was no sharing…I ate all 6 mushroom caps! 😉
The recipe below makes way more than 6 mushroom caps of stuffing, but I wanted to make extra. I had the leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day – tasted great reheated!
- 6 Portobello caps, washed and with stems removed (set aside)
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 small on-the-vine tomatoes, diced
- 1 package of Lightlife Smart Ground veggie protein crumbles
- 1 cup of uncooked, sprouted quinoa (regular quinoa can be used as well)
- ½ jar of your favorite vegan pasta sauce
- ½ cup of shredded Teese Mozzarella cheese
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- Cook sprouted or regular quinoa according to directions on the package.
- Saute garlic and onion in vegetable oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- After removing stems from the mushroom caps (if there are any), dice stems and add them to the pan, along with veggie protein crumbles and tomatoes. Cook until heated through.
- Add all but a few spoonfuls of pasta sauce to the mixture, putting the rest aside. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Turn stove down to low heat and allow mixture to warm through slowly while quinoa finishes cooking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place washed and de-stemmed mushrooms into a shallow baking pan. Fill pan with enough water to submerge about ¼ of the mushrooms (unlike zucchini, mushrooms will shrink when cooked)
- When quinoa is cooked, add enough of it into the pan of meat to evenly distribute throughout.
- Using a spoon, fill each mushroom cap generously with meat and quinoa mixture, piling stuffing high. Spoon a bit of the leftover sauce onto each cap to keep moist.
- Top each cap with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and cover with foil. Place in over for approx. 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are cooked through.
- Enjoy right out of the oven!
What do you stuff your mushrooms with? Share your ideas in the comments below!