Oh, look – another soup recipe! Don’t say that I didn’t warn you – I LOVE soup!
It’s been a busy month around here – I had no idea how much work it is to make a house into a home! We’ve been spending a lot of weeknights organizing, cleaning, and painting because the weekends are super busy. I was really trying to finish up the painting in the kitchen last week, and I needed something easy and quick to throw together to keep us going. I found this package of Bob’s Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix in my pantry and I knew I could come up with something yummy!
This awesome bag is a mixture of green and yellow split peas, barley, lentils and alphabet pasta that are made from wheat flour, spinach and tomato. The directions on the back are simple – 1 cup of the mix with 4 cups of water, and simmer for an hour. I added in some of the things that I had in my fridge, made a batch and a half, added some seasoning and it was AWESOME! So many different combinations that you could make with this mix – I can’t wait to try something new with the rest!
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 cups of Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix
- 6 cups of veggie broth (or water with veggie bouillon cubes)
- 1 TB dried dill (fresh would work, too)
- 1 TB dried basil
- 1 TSP celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in the oil until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add celery and carrot to the pot, and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pot and sauté for about 3 more minutes.
- Add in the Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix, the seasoning, and the veggie broth. Bring everything to a boil, then lower the heat. Simmer for about an hour covered, stirring occasionally, until the veggies and lentils are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve!
You should be able to find the Bob’s soup mix and many local grocery stores (I got mine at GIANT), as well as stores like Whole Foods. Grab a bag and get ready to enjoy!
*Note: I am in no way affiliated or compensated by Bob’s Red Mill – I am just a fan of their product!*
I have submitted this recipe to the Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck!