Today is such a gloomy, rainy, grey day here in Philadelphia. I’ll admit….I stayed in bed much longer than I normally would! When I finally got up, I wanted something warm and comforting that I could eat in my PJs with a big cup of coffee. I looked around in my pantry and decided to whip up some steel cut oats that I found – I had bought the package to use in a crock pot recipe but never used them again. Why not give it a try on the stovetop?
I followed the directions on the package, but instead of 3 cups of water, I used 2 cups of water and 1 cup of Califia Farms Toasted Coconut Almond Milk. If you haven’t already tried this new brand of almond milk, stop reading RIGHT NOW and go get some!!
Got your almond milk? Ok, good! Making the oats was really simple – bring the liquid to boil, add the oats, let them simmer until the liquid gets absorbed, add toppings and agave and enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of Califia Toasted Coconut Almond Milk (or your favorite plant-based milk)
- ¼ cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup of blueberries
- Agave to taste
- Combine water and almond milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Add steel cut oats to the milk/water mix and lower the heat, simmering for about 15 minutes or until the oats reach your desired consistency, stirring often
- Serve oats warm, topped with agave to sweeten, shredded coconut and fresh blueberries
The best part of this dish is how versatile it can be! Don’t like blueberries? Switch them out with strawberries or mango! It was the perfect, comforting dish for this gloomy day. Enjoy!
What is your go-to rainy day breakfast? I would love to hear your recipes!